Women’s soccer shuts out Wildcats

Center back Cassidy Weiss drives the ball down field toward Wildcats goal keeper Kylie Comba Sunday afternoon. Photo by Alec Kasper-Olson.
Center back Cassidy Weiss drives the ball down field toward Wildcats goal keeper Kylie Comba Sunday afternoon. Photo by Alec Kasper-Olson.

St. Cloud State Women’s Soccer (6-3-2, 5-2-2 NSIC) faced fellow Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference opponent, Wayne State Wildcats (1-8-3, 1-7-1 NSIC)  Sunday Oct. 11 at Husky Stadium.

The Huskies were looking to rebound from a tough 3-1 loss to Augustana College night.

The Huskies kicked the first half off with the ball. Early on in the first half, both teams were playing very poor. Both teams couldn’t get any shots on goal and most of the play was played around midfield. Neither team seemed to have the ability to control the ball long enough to get a play going or to get a shot on goal.

The Huskies all of sudden started to figure out the Wildcats defense and put the pressure on. In the 13 minute of the second half, Gabby Fleck and Maria Kass worked well together to get an open shot for Fleck but was denied by the Wildcats goalkeeper.

In the 25 minute mark of the first half, the Huskies had a corner kick. Sarah Benhart took the corner kick and her kick was deflected on goal but was picked up calmly by the Wildcats goalkeeper.

The play was dominated by the Huskies. They had better ball control and most of the play was on the Wildcats’ side. But the Huskies’ defense got caught napping and the Wildcats had a tremendous opportunity to break the tie.

In the 27 minute of the first half, Wildcats player got passed the Huskies’ defense and blasted a shot on goal but Julia Clifford, SCSU goalkeeper, made a beautiful save to keep the game tied.

The great save gave Huskies a lot of energy and emotion. They really started to attack the Wildcats’ defense, and were rewarded.

In the 29 minute of the first half the Huskies won a free kick that was about 12 yards out from the goal. Michelle Cornell took the free kick, and her shot hit the top of the crossbar but the rebound bounced right to Alexa Starr who got the ball and found the back of the net to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead.

Huskies kept the pressure up and the Wildcats were on their heels trying to stop the Huskies attack. But the Huskies would not be denied.

In the 35 minute of the first half, Alexa Starr scored her second goal of the game, giving the Huskies a 2-0 lead.

Huskies kept attacking and dominating the play was rewarded for their hustle and hard work.

With five minutes to play in the first half, the Huskies were given another free kick, which was about 15 yards out. Kylie Cleary took the free kick, in which she took a shot on goal and was able to beat the Wildcats’ goalkeeper. Cleary gave the Huskies a 3-0 lead.

The first half finally ended and the game was dominated the Huskies. Wayne State had only one shot during the first half. The Huskies game planned was executed to perfection.

At halftime, the Huskies led 3-0.

Wayne State kicked off the second half with the ball. After a poor first half for the Wildcats, they looked to improve and put up a fight. The Huskies gave them no chance to get back in the game though.

The second half started just like the first half. Both teams were sloppy with the ball and couldn’t get too much going. The play during the second half was nothing special. Wayne State struggled to do anything, and the Huskies were content to playing the game around midfield.

The Huskies kept getting corner kicks but couldn’t do anything with them. The Wildcats’ defense improved a lot from the first half giving the Huskies nothing.

But in the 17 minute of the second half, the Wildcats had a chance. The player for the Wildcats got a shot off but Julia, SCSU goalkeeper, was able to deny the Wildcats and was able to keep the shut out going.

That was the only real scoring chance for both teams, during the second half. Both teams kept kicking the ball around midfield. The final score of the game was 3-0. It was the sixth win for the Huskies on the season.

The Huskies dominated the game, which was a good bounce back from a tough loss Friday night. The Huskies have a little break before their next game. They take on University of Mary in Bismarck, ND Saturday at 11 a.m. Oct. 17.

Please follow and like us:
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial
%d bloggers like this:
University Chronicle