Tough defense leads women’s soccer into overtime with UMD

Women’s Soccer (1-1, 0-0) team opened their Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) play against the University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs (1-2, 0-0) Tuesday Sept. 15 at Husky Stadium.

This meeting between the two teams marks the 31st time they have played each other, and it is the longest series for the SCSU soccer program. The last time the Huskies beat the Bulldogs was back in 2012 with a 2-1 win in Duluth.

The Huskies got the ball to start the game. The first half of play saw very good defenses played by both teams. Each team was having trouble finding shots early on in the game. SCSU then started to take better control of the ball, and the game was mostly played on the UMD side of the field.

After 12 minutes, the Huskies had a great opportunity to score when Gabby Fleck got passed the UMD defense and had a shot on goal, but the UMD goalkeeper came up big with the safe to keep the score at 0-0.

UMD started to put pressure on later in the first half and had a great opportunity to score after a foul was committed by SCSU. After 33 minutes, UMD had a free kick about 35 yards away from the SCSU goal, but the huskies defense came up huge to knock the ball down and clear it quickly before UMD could get a shot off.

The first half was closing down with only 30 seconds left to play when the Huskies had one last chance before halftime. Haley Greving for SCSU had a chance on a breakaway, but the pass to her was too far in front of her and the UMD goalkeeper was able to get the ball before she had a chance to shoot.

At halftime the score was 0-0.

UMD kicked, and got the ball to start the second half and both teams came out really hard. The play was more physical on both sides. There was more pushing and shoving going on trying to get into position. Both teams really came out with a lot more intensity in the second half.

About 15 minutes into the second half the Huskies took over the game and started to push the Bulldogs onto their heels. Finally, after 19 minutes into the second half, the Huskies broke through and scored a goal. Maria Kass received a pass from teammate Maria Witte and was able to beat the Bulldogs goalkeeper for the first goal of the game. The Huskies led 1-0. It was Kass’ third goal of the year.

After the Husky’s goal, the Bulldogs really stepped up the pressure since they were down 1-0. At the 26 minute of the second half, the Bulldogs had a breakaway but Huskies goalkeeper, Brittney Plomban, came up with a huge save to keep the Bulldogs scoreless.

In the 28 minute of the second half, UMD had another great chance when one of players found open space for a shot, but her shot hit the top right of the goalpost and SCSU dodged a bullet.

But with four minutes to play in the second half, UMD had a corner kick and they were able to capitalize on it with a goal. It was a great goal by my UMD.  Score now was tied 1-1.

Regulation of play ended and the game went into sudden death overtime. In overtime, both teams had one really good shot to win the game. For the Huskies, Gabby Fleck, would have a shot on goal but the Bulldogs goalkeeper made another nice save. For the Bulldogs, they had a free kick and almost scored again. One of the Bulldogs was able to get a header off but Husky goalkeeper Plomban made another huge safe by punching the ball over the net.

The game ended in a tie. The final score was 1-1. Both teams earned a point on the season. The Huskies overall record moved to 1-1-1 and the Bulldogs went 1-2-1.


Please follow and like us:
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial
%d bloggers like this:
University Chronicle