St. Cloud State breezes past Northern State 102-82

Huskies Seth Mortag and Wolves Carter Evans fight for the opening tip-off to Friday night’s game. Photo by Anthony Cooley.
Huskies Seth Mortag and Wolves Carter Evans fight for the opening tip-off to Friday night’s game. Photo by Anthony Cooley.

St. Cloud State filled it up against Northern State, making 64 percent of their shots from the field and made 62.5 percent of their shots from long distance. The Huskies were a force to be reckoned with crashing the glass throughout the game, grabbing a total of 38 rebounds in the game compared to the Northern State’s 21.

Head coach of the Huskies Matt Reiner said, “We out-rebounded them by a lot, but they didn’t get many opportunities to get defensive rebounds. I think in the first half they had nine opportunities to get defensive rebounds, and we got four offensive rebounds out of those nine chances and that’s just an effort thing.”

Huskies forward Gage Davis led his team in both points and assists in tonight’s game, scoring 25 points and dropping four assists. Huskies forward Seth Mortag collected a double-double with 12 points on six of seven shooting from the free-throw line and 11 rebounds, five of them being offensive rebounds.

Northern State forward Skye Warwick led all scorers in the first half with 20 points on six of nine shooting from the field. Warwick scored his last points of the half on a three-point shot multiple steps behind the line right as the buzzer to end the half sounded. St. Cloud State guard Scottie Stone led the way for the Huskies in the first half, scoring 15 points on three of four shooting from the three-point line.

Throughout the entire half the Huskies shot a tremendous overall field goal percentage, completing 71.4 percent of their total shots. The entire first half was a tightly contested battle between both teams, consisting of 4 ties and 3 lead changes that eventually resulted in their largest lead of the half of 11 points with 2:40 remaining. Approaching the halfway mark of the second half, the Huskies went on a 16-3 which grew their lead to 83-62.

With no intentions of slowing down, St. Cloud State achieved their largest lead of 29 points with 3:48 left to play. “We executed really well to get open shots and we’ve got good shooters… I just think that the guys were fired up and ready to go,” Reiner said. “Our kids stayed poised and they just kept fighting.”

St. Cloud State (12-13) will stay at home for their next game Saturday night against Minnesota State University Moorhead (24-4). Northern State (14-11) will go on the road to Duluth to play the University of Minnesota Duluth (15-10).

Please follow and like us:
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial
%d bloggers like this:
University Chronicle