Men’s basketball holds off late comeback for seasons first victory

In an odd start to the game on Saturday night, a technical foul was assessed against the Mayville State Comets (4-4, 0-1 NSAA) for not submitting their starting lineup on time, giving St. Cloud State’s Scottie Stone a free throw attempt, which he made to gave the Huskies (1-3, 0-0 NSIC) a quick 1-0 lead. The Huskies held the lead throughout the game and finished with their first victory of the year by a score of 88-73.

The Huskies continued their aggressive full-court defense in this game and scored a total of 28 points off 18 turnovers. One of the more important turnovers of the game came in the first half when Mayville was mounting a comeback and freshmen guard Gage Davis stole the ball and finished at the rim between two defenders for two of his 15 first-half points.

Davis finished the game with a season-high 23 points as well as a team-high four assists and two blocks. He’s now averaging 19 points and four assists throughout four games this season.

“I do hope Gage can continue this type of success. You’ll look up at the scoreboard and see his point total rising, he’s a quiet and quick scorer,” said Huskies head basketball coach Matt Reimer.

The Huskies found it easy to get on the scoreboard early as Mark Hall made the first three baskets of the game, including an and-one to make the score 9-3. Although they struggled from three-point range early, going just 3-11 in the first-half, the Huskies were able to force turnovers and get to the rim often in building a double-digit lead.

Freshmen Brindley Theisen hit a three-point shot for his first points of the game with just a few seconds left in the half, giving the Huskies a 45-31 lead. Reimer played his bench players early and often, notably sophomore forward Jon Averkamp who led all bench players with 10 points, eight of which came in the first-half.

The second-half presented more of a challenge to the Huskies as Mayville controlled both sides of the floor for a five-minute period, forcing turnovers and hitting three’s, eventually reducing the Huskies lead to just four points.

Davis however was once again able to stifle a Comets run by hitting a three with four minutes remaining to bring the lead to seven and spark a Husky run that ended with a 15-point victory.

“We need to be solid for 40 minutes. We had lapses where we turned over the ball and gave up easy layups. I told the guys I’d rather win with stops than shots,” Reimer said.

The Huskies next home game will be Tuesday, November 24 against Northland College at 7 PM, and they will begin conference play next Saturday, November 28 on the road against the University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs.

Please follow and like us:
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial
%d bloggers like this:
University Chronicle