Huskies split weekend series with Fighting Hawks – Photo Gallery

St. Cloud State University would welcome the University of North Dakota to the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center to resume WCHA play for the Huskies.
The game would start slow to begin as not much action would occur the first 10 minutes of the period. The Huskies wouldn’t get their first shot on goal until nearly 13 minutes into the game. Defenses on both sides would hold strong as both teams would kill a penalty in the first period. Huskies netminder Janine Alder would make 10 saves in the first period, Fighting Hawks goalie Lexie Shaw would have 6. The score would be tied at zero all heading into the first intermission.
It would be a battle of special teams in the second period. Both teams would remain 100% on the penalty kill, but it was the penalty kill for the Fighting Hawks that would open the scoring. Sarah Lecavalier of the Fighting Hawks would win the face-off in their own zone with the puck going back to the boards. Halli Krzyzaniak would corral the puck send it around the boards that would spring Amy Menke for a breakaway after she would poke the puck around the defense and she would beat Alder blocker side to give North Dakota a 1-0 lead that would stay the same heading into the third period.
The third period would be more of the same, both teams trading penalties but neither being able to capitalize. The Huskies would put some pressure on the Fighting Hawks putting up shots in bunches but Shaw was a superhuman, refusing to allow any Husky shots to find twine. The Huskies would lose in shutout fashion, 1-0.

Alder was fantastic herself, only allowing one goal on 31 shots, but would fall to 1-1. The Huskies will have their chance to get revenge and split the series tomorrow. Puck drop is scheduled for 3:07 p.m.

Huskies  v. Fighting Hawks, take two, and it would be a good one.
Deep in Huskies territory after a scrum, Julia Tylke would come away with the puck and fly through the neutral zone working her away around a defender and with possession behind the net would rifle a centering pass to junior forward Alyssa Erickson, ripping a shot past the glove of the University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks goalie Kristen Campbell. Erickson would give the Huskies a 1-0 lead 4:58 into the first period.
Later in the first, the Fighting Hawks would win possession of the puck in Huskies territory where Hawks freshman forward Annelise Rice would take a shot from the left circle that Huskies netminder Taylor Crosby would get a piece of with her stick, but the puck would bounce up over her leg pads and make its way to the back of the net to knot the game up at one a piece 17:50 into the first.
With time ticking down toward zero in the first period with the Fighting Hawks on the power play, Kayla Gardner would send a pass to Vilma Tanskanen who was waiting in the slot to rip a one timer on Crosby. Crosby would make the initial kick save but the rebound would find senior defenseman Jordan Hampton on the doorstep of Crosby and her shot would score the go ahead goal 19:57 into the first that would give UND a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.
In the beginning of the second, the Fighting Hawks would crash the net and would run into Crosby, who would have to leave the game with an injury. Janine Alder replaced Crosby in net.
It would take a while, but the Huskies trailing by one would get their chance late in the second period. Tylke would have the puck in the neutral zone, she would sauce a pass off the boards to Erickson, her centering pass would find Brooke Kudirka and her shot would bounce off Campbell and who else but Tylke would be there to clean it up and score the equalizer 16:43 into the second period. The score would remain 2-2 heading into the third period. The story of the game to this point would be the goalie play of the Huskies, who were outshot 25-7 the first two periods.
In the decisive third period the Huskies would pull ahead for good. Ivy Dynek would have the puck along the boards she would beat the double team with a drop pass to Suvi Ollikainen and she would attempt a centering pass but the puck would deflect off of a Fighting Hawks defender straight towards the net where senior forward Kelsey Saelens would poke it under the five hole of Campbell for the game winner at 4:03. The Huskies would hold on to win by a final of 3-2.
The St. Cloud State University Huskies (2-4) will get a bye week before they take on the Minnesota State University Mavericks (2-2) on Oct. 21 and 22.
Please follow and like us:
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial
%d bloggers like this:
University Chronicle